Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome

Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, also known as herpes zoster oticus, is caused by the same virus responsible for chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus. It is an infection of the facial nerve resulting from a dormant virus present after chickenpox heals. If the immune system fails to destroy the virus it can reactivate resulting in this or other pathologies, such as shingles. Treatment within seven days of onset of symptoms can reduce chance for longterm complications. Since early detection is so important, here are some symptoms to watch for: pain in ear, hearing loss, tinnitus (ringing in ears), vertigo (disorientation), taste perversion, and painful red rash and blisters in the mouth or ear area. Sometimes confused with stroke symptoms, patients may also experience facial weakness on one side (the same side as the affected ear).
Though Ramsay Hunt often occurs in people over the age of 60, anyone who has had chickenpox can be affected. Because this disorder can be spread by touch, until blisters have scabbed over those affected should avoid contact with the following: anyone who has never had chickenpox, anyone with a weak immune system, newborns, and pregnant women. Failure to seek prompt treatment could result in permanent hearing loss and/or facial weakness. If there is severe damage to the facial nerve, it may not repair correctly resulting in abnormal facial movements. Other longterm possibilities include damage to the eye because of inability to close the eyelid; and spread of the virus to other nerves or brain, resulting in headaches, confusion, and overall weakness.
In order to treat Ramsay Hunt Syndrome, doctors may prescribe medication to target the virus and/or the symptoms. Such medications include: antiviral, corticosteroids (to reduce swelling), valium (for vertigo), or pain relievers. Certain exercises and Botox injections may help with facial weakness and the patients inability to close their eye. Treatment could take weeks or even months to take effect. Though there is no way of preventing the virus, the risk may be reduced by the varicella virus vaccine. This vaccine is usually administered between the ages of 12 and 18 months, but may be given to older children who have not had chickenpox.


(1st picture and information)

(2nd picture)

(3rd picture)


1 comment:

  1. I thought my life had become meaningless and had nothing to offer anymore as I had HIV, the symptoms became very severe and bold which made my family and friends run away from me and abandoned me, so they won't get infected. I gave up everything, my hope, dreams, vision and job because doctors told me there's no cure. I consumed so many antiviral drugs, but they never cured me but hid the symptoms inside me, It was worse. I was desperate to find a solution to this horrible and deadly virus inside me. I made online research on herbal remedy for  HIV/Aids cure when I came across testimonies of some people on how DR JAMES uses his herbal mix medicine to Cured them of  MENINGITIS, DENGUE, SCHIZOPHRENIA, BIPOLAR DISORDER, ALZHEIMER'S DISEASES, UNDERACTIVE THYROID, HIV/AIDS. HERPES VIRUS. CANCER, ALS, STROKE, HEPATITIS B, DIABETES, FIBROID, MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS, CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES, LUPUS, SKIN CANCER.OVARIAN CANCER, INFERTILITY,GET YOUR EX BACK. I never believed at first and thought it was a joke but later decided to contact him on the details provided and when I messaged him we talked, and he told me on how his herbs and root medicine works Which was all okay with me. He sent me his herbal mix medicine and told me the usage and I should go for a test after 3 weeks of drinking the herbal medicine Within 7 days of his medications the symptoms disappeared and when I went for a test Lo and behold I negative by the Doctor Who tested me earlier. Thank you DR James for saving my life and I'll keep telling the world about you. If you're out there going through pains, rejection and  facing any kind of health challenges Worry no more and contact DR James via.  DRJAMESHERBALMIX@GMAIL.COM  He's a good man, and he will surely help you.

    ReplyDelete